Saturday, July 26, 2014

The Food!

Chances are good that if you're reading this you know I like Indian food.  I love it.  But I have a pretty narrow range of preferred foods.

That goes out the window here where I have limited control over my diet.  I can try articulating preferences but they're usually misunderstood, and so I've decided to take it as it comes.

More often than not, it's amazingly good.  The steward of the house where I'm staying has a reputation for good food but his two house boys are no slouches either.  Between them they've trotted out about 15 different dishes in 8 days -- each meal consisting of 2 varying curries, sweet corn soup (fantastic, and new to me), dhal curry, rice, and chapatti/roti (flat bread), and unflavored yogurt.  I eat some of everything eagerly with my hands.

Breakfast is a bit different - it has

  • fruit (a rotation of papaya, mango, banana, and watermelon) which I'm not supposed to eat (bacterial risk), but i do anyway. 
  • juice (i think they make it fresh) -- usually watermelon juice  (?!), but also grape (fresh-squeezed grape juice is very different), and a sort of lemonade.
  • one of:
    • a spicy omelette -- it's super delicious, and my favorite
    • toast sandwich with spicy potato curry inside
    • dhal curry (supposedly different than dinner, but seems the same to me).
  • toast with the crust cut off (evidently my genteel dietary needs preceded me).
  • coffee - thick, creamy with scalded milk, and heavily sugared
As much as I like Indian food, though, 8 days with spicy curries 3 meals a day is a little bit of a shock to the system.  I still eat and enjoy it, but i may need to get a pizza at some point soon just for a break.

No comments:

Post a Comment